I think one of the main idea behind developing a real alternative for Magma,
Matlab, Mathematica etc. is their license costs and restrictions on altering
the source code etc. Personally, if I had chance to not to use windows, I
won't. Let me give an example, last night I read an article about backward
compatibility issues of windows 7 and I understand that they will not
provide binary compatibility to previous windows versions, but they will
supply an abstraction layer and api for previous versions which will run
programs like a virtual machine like apple did for previous osX
compatibility (if I understand it right). My personal observation is that
virtualization is going to be (of course they are not 100% the same thing)
the future. So maybe, not a vmware version but a version built on a fast
linux (with no necessary options of os) and a fast and lightweight virtual
machine with an msi installer to run it, can be better. Also, maybe not
today, but when a new windows come to scene, again we need to alter our
codes to recompile it to work with the new os, which is a waste of time and
effort (although ms is promising for win 7 for backward compatibility). Anyway,
these are just a user's opinion, so don't get too much angry on me :)
AAP