mabshoff wrote:

> On Feb 23, 9:00 am, Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> Kenny wrote:
>>> Is there any good reason for using flotr, protochart or any other
>>> instead of flot??
>> I don't know.  In order to standardize on flot or anything else, though,
>> someone needs to post a message to sage-devel calling for a vote and
>> explaining why the proposed package is better than anything else, etc.
>> Having a prototype of something working would be advantageous for
>> letting people try it out before voting.
>
> I don't think we are quite there yet. It seems that all the javascript
> based plotting code seems to require canvas support (or at least takes
> advantage of it), so IE support might be an issue here. I also fail to
> see yet why this is significantly better and/or not achievable with
> MPL and/or jmol. I am all for experimenting to see what is possible,
> but I would not be in favor of adding another 2D plotting library to
> Sage while we have MPL.
>
> That is obviously taking about standard Sage. A hook into the notebook
> code to check if some of the above libraries is installed via some
> optional library seems more than reasonable.

Right now, I think the best solution for us would be some sort of html
canvas backend for matplotlib.  However, I haven't looked closely at the
javascript plotters (just played with them for a bit).

Having a canvas dependency isn't a showstopper, I don't think.  IE
doesn't support it, but there are multiple solutions to bring canvas to
IE, including at least a javascript library
(http://code.google.com/p/explorercanvas/) and an activex control
(http://blog.vlad1.com/2008/07/30/no-browser-left-behind/).  According
http://arstechnica.com/software/news/2008/08/mozilla-drags-ie-into-the-future-with-canvas-element-plugin.ars,

the javascript library is what makes google maps work with IE, so I'd
guess it's pretty well tested and it works.

Jason