kcrisman wrote:
>> I think having a viewer='flot' would work well, so that you would do:
>>
>> p=plot(x^2, (x,0,10))
>> show(p, viewer='flot')
>
> So, again to clarify, this would be *default* in the command line or
> notebook or both or neither or just in interacts or... - and what
> functionality would be *lost* in that event?  I'm just trying to get a
> sense of this, because I am not conversant with the technical merits
> on either side.  Sorry to be pesty about it.

(speaking for myself) I think for right now, we aren't considering it
being default, at least until we see it.  However, we do eventually want
to have some sort of nice plotting be default in the notebook, but at
the same time we don't want to give up all of the nice powerful plotting
that is available currently through matplotlib.

I see it eventually as an option someone could give to show, just like
now we can do show(..., viewer='tachyon') and get a raytraced image.
Since it is javascript, I think it would only make sense in the notebook.

So:

* not default, but we may consider it if it could replace the
functionality of matplotlib
* only for the notebook

That's my take, anyway.

Jason