RRF web page states
"The University of Washington owns any patents, trademarks, copyrights
or other work with commercial value from discoveries and inventions
resulting from work funded by the Royalty Research Fund and these will
be administered in accordance with the University's Patent, Invention,
and Copyright policy. All such work shall be disclosed promptly to the
University's Office of Technology Transfer."

Would UW allow the code to be GPL licensed?