Florent Hivert wrote:
>       Dear William
>
>> I like s.cardinality() since that's what I've used often already all
>> over in Sage.
>> Do
>>
>> sage: search_src('cardinality')
>> <hundreds of places in sage where this is used!>
>
> Arglll !!! I had this idea and issued an
>
> tomahawk-*ge-combinat/sage $ grep def\ cardinality\( **/*.py* | wc
>      11      35     533
>
> which was a pretty low number. For the record:
>   tomahawk-*ge-combinat/sage $ grep def\ cardinality\( **/*.py*
>   rings/integer_mod_ring.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   rings/ring.pyx:    def cardinality(self):
>   schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_finite_field.py:    def cardinality(self,
> algorithm='heuristic', extension_degree=1):
>   sets/primes.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   sets/set.py:    def cardinality(self):
>   structure/parent.pyx:    def cardinality(self):
>
> Is there a standard policy about aliases like card/cardinality ?

I think in general, the definition goes with the most descriptive name
(e.g., cardinality).  Sometimes a shorter alias is then created to make
typing easier (e.g., card).  An example of this the adjacency matrix of
a graph.  We have g.adjacency_matrix, but we also have the shortcut g.am.

If there is only one function name, then it is the more explicit name
(e.g., cardinality)

Jason