On Feb 28, 6:07 pm, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,

<SNIP>

Hi Minh,

> A number of the library files under sage/combinat has French texts
> scattered around them. Some has English texts, followed by their
> French translation.

Yes, I have complained about that a while ago to the words people and
the next big refactoring coming for that code will clean that up.

> I picked this up while making patches for ticket
> #5357. So far those French texts haven't caused me any problems while
> I view them using Emacs, but perhaps someone needs to check that.

Yes, but trac on sagemath.org for example shows crap characters in the
diff and I have seen enough editors cause trouble. For an umlaut or
accent here and there this isn't a big issue. But where do you draw
the line, i.e. CJK comments, etc and our conclusion was 7 bit ASCII
all the way. It won't make everyone happy, but it will make me happy
since I do not have to deal with crap like failing cloning over and
over again because not all files will be marked as UTF-8 :)

> --
> Regards
> Minh Van Nguyen

Cheers,