On 03/10/09 16:41, Jason Grout wrote:
>>   http://nb.hpfem.org/home/pub/16
>
> I just installed FreeWRL and looked at this.  Awesome!  It looks like
> this might be the best way to get good opengl graphics (and mayavi!) in
> the sage notebook while we still wait on the possibility of an html
> canvas3d tag.

Thanks for the kind words.  It would be nice if someone would
incorporate the little patch to cell.py to support this directly.  It
would be cool if the build process for this were easier so others could
also have a mayavi enabled sage.  I am not sure what the status of that
was, I believe Jaap and Ondrej were working that out.

> I noticed that, at least with Freewrl, there didn't seem to be an easy
> way of rotating the object in the above demo.  Instead, all the methods
> focused on navigating the camera.  Does anyone know a way to rotate the
> whole scene around some point, similar to grabbing and dragging an
> object in jmol or mayavi?  This could be accomplished by moving the
> camera around a sphere, always pointing at the same spot in space.

Left-click and drag rotates the camera and right click drag zooms.  I
couldn't find something for panning the camera.  The trouble with the
rotation is that the center of the rotation always seems to be at
(0,0,0) which causes the funny interactionr.  I wrote to John Stewart
regarding fixing this a day or so ago and haven't heard back.

cheers,
prabhu