Hi all,

we do not seem to understand each other well enough (especially Bill
and me). Yet. :-) Let's try an analogy. When compiling C code, you can
tell the compiler to "silently skip over warnings"; or to "print out
verbose warnings, but to continue"; or to "treat all warnings like
errors and stop". Some programmers have "-Wall" enabled right from the
start and address every warning as soon as it occurs. Other
programmers first want to "see some results" and address the warnings
only as a second step, after the bulk of code is written.

Now the coercion/conversion system is not in all aspects comparable to
compilig C code.

But would you find it helpful to have the possibility to let it act
either "as gracefully as possible", or to "print out verbose
warnings" (coercions have costs, so if the costs are higher than a
specific amount, this could trigger an activity), or to "only do a
strict subset of coercions/coversions, and stop otherwise"?

Debugging is an essential part of coding, and often the part that
takes by far most of the time. Of course it's a matter of style, and
of personal taste, how to cope with that situation. But Sage
definitely should have the flexibility to allow for different styles
and ways of its programmers!

Cheers,
gsw