Sage-Devel,

I've been asked to write a review of Sage for SIAM Review, the main
journal for the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.  I'd
like to include some concrete examples of some fast and powerful
commands in Sage that would interest applied mathematicians.  For
example, Sage can do the determinant of a size 400 matrix with integer
entries in about 1 second on inexpensive hardware.  Can you contribute
a favorite example like this, but which would get the attention of the
readers of SIAM Review (i.e. not exact linear algebra)?    If you send
me exact code I can get timings all from the same machine.

Also, which packages should I highlight?  For example: BLAS, LAPACK,
CVXOPT, GSL, MPFR, Scipy, Numpy, or ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob