Hi folks,

Before conspiracy theories on the subject get fully developed, let me give
an overview of things that transpired at Sage Days 14 and the plan of
dealing with them.

1. in preparation for my talk, I spent a significant amount of quality time
with the schemes/ directory, attempting to categorise the various types of
algebraic-geometric objects that Sage knows about, and exactly how much Sage
can do with them; in addition to this, various participants played around
with Sage and ran into bugs/questionable behaviour/not implemented basic
features.  The conclusion of all this is that while some objects have
extensive and well-tested functionality (e.g. elliptic curves, and to a
lesser extent hyperelliptic curves), the code in schemes/ needs some love.
Doctest coverage needs to be brought up to 100%.  Easy yet not implemented
features need to be put in.  Bugs need to be fixed.  This is a prerequisite
to part 2 below, and to attracting algebraic geometers to use Sage for their
research and teaching.

2. in the discussion sessions, as well as informal conversations, a plethora
of requests for enhancement has emerged.  This is listed in a rather summary
fashion at

http://wiki.sagemath.org/AlgebraicGeometrySEP

A couple of topics are expanded upon with sample syntax, etc.

The natural question is: what are we going to do about these points?  I will
personally start by focusing on 1; this is what Justin meant by "cleaning up
the old code".  I see this as a gradual process, and for my part I will
strive to make it as non-disruptive to others as possible: my emphasis will
be on documentation and examples, on fixing broken behaviour, and only if
absolutely necessary on modifying current working behaviour.  I will try to
work on one aspect at a time so that few files are touched by any single
patch.  Also, whatever I work on will be clearly indicated on trac so that
if others want to join in the fun we don't end up duplicating our efforts.

Of course design questions should and will be discussed publicly.  I'm not
convinced sage-nt is the correct venue for this, and I'm also not convinced
there should be a sage-ag.  I'll probably just post to sage-devel and cc to
sage-nt in those cases where the questions are of interest to number
theorists (e.g. elliptic or hyperelliptic curves).

I'll be happy to have some company in this endeavour, whether it is in the
form of direct work on points 1 and 2, or suggestions, or refereeing of
patches, or more testing and bug reports, or precisely formulated
enhancement requests.

Best,
Alex

--
Alex Ghitza -- Lecturer in Mathematics -- The University of Melbourne --
Australia --