Hey all, long time since my last update about activities from the
website. That's mainly because not much has happened. There was a
valley during Christmas holidays and only a couple of new referring
sites that brought traffic. The most comes still from google, then
sites like stumbleupon, reddit and wikipedia. Concerning search
engines like google, the most often used keywords excluding "sage" are
permutations of { mathematics, maths, mathematica, open source, free }
and the like.
To give you some numbers, for the time during Christmas and the same
timespan afterwards:
Dec 16th - Jan 19th:
  Visits: 42,837
  Pageviews: 144,559
Jan 20th - Feb 23rd:
  Visits:  60,818 [ +42% ]
  Pageviews:  206,487 [ + 43% ]

For each week the visits from nearly the past year. watch the nearly
linear upwards trend at the end! One visit is defined as a unique
user, who opens a bunch of pages.

Week        Visits
Jul 6, 2008 - Jul 12, 2008         5806
Jul 13, 2008 - Jul 19, 2008     6101
Jul 20, 2008 - Jul 26, 2008     6862
Jul 27, 2008 - Aug 2, 2008     7311
Aug 3, 2008 - Aug 9, 2008     7347
Aug 10, 2008 - Aug 16, 2008     6371
Aug 17, 2008 - Aug 23, 2008     7586
Aug 24, 2008 - Aug 30, 2008     9848
Aug 31, 2008 - Sep 6, 2008     11817
Sep 7, 2008 - Sep 13, 2008     10619
Sep 14, 2008 - Sep 20, 2008     11595
Sep 21, 2008 - Sep 27, 2008     11751
Sep 28, 2008 - Oct 4, 2008     14509
Oct 5, 2008 - Oct 11, 2008     11611
Oct 12, 2008 - Oct 18, 2008     12074
Oct 19, 2008 - Oct 25, 2008     11475
Oct 26, 2008 - Nov 1, 2008     12254
Nov 2, 2008 - Nov 8, 2008     11737
Nov 9, 2008 - Nov 15, 2008     11562
Nov 16, 2008 - Nov 22, 2008     11891
Nov 23, 2008 - Nov 29, 2008     9971
Nov 30, 2008 - Dec 6, 2008     10888
Dec 7, 2008 - Dec 13, 2008     10597
Dec 14, 2008 - Dec 20, 2008     8692
Dec 21, 2008 - Dec 27, 2008     7288
Dec 28, 2008 - Jan 3, 2009     6837
Jan 4, 2009 - Jan 10, 2009     9608
Jan 11, 2009 - Jan 17, 2009     9911
Jan 18, 2009 - Jan 24, 2009     10653
Jan 25, 2009 - Jan 31, 2009     11477
Feb 1, 2009 - Feb 7, 2009     12276
Feb 8, 2009 - Feb 14, 2009     12911
Feb 15, 2009 - Feb 21, 2009     13808
Feb 22, 2009 - Feb 28, 2009     15036
Mar 1, 2009 - Mar 7, 2009     14418
Mar 8, 2009 - Mar 14, 2009     16427

plot:

But now enough with the past, the future is more interesting!

Monitor Downloads on all Mirrors:

New for the past few weeks is an index page for all downloads on the
mirrors. A tracking mechanism [1] records clicked links to all files.
This isn't 100% accurate, but allows to measure the popularity and
tendencies.
Problem 1: If you right-click and select save-as, it doesn't count
(i.e. I download this way in linux, using wget -c)
Problem 2: JS disabled or blocked
Problem 3: multiple counts

Conclusions:

Windows wins

Linux: goes second and most requested linux distrubtion is ubuntu 32bit!

I also track page views besides these download actions (the clicks on
the link) ... That also is rather interesting: There are more linux
views than downloads, so, following theories:

Theory 1: Windows users see the vmware image and hesitate, but they
download it. They also don't use download managers, at least the do
not copy URLs
Theory 2: Linux users expect a deb/rpm package or repository info
(some lines to add and then download it) ... but not a tar ball.
Theory 3: Linux users copy URLs

I think all of them have some truth and if i have further ideas about
this, i'll post them. At least it should be clear, that linux
distribution specific packages are also an issue, somehow. Another
problem could be the size. I plan to write a short text explaining
once again what everybody gets and that the download size shouldn't be
an issue.
I also noticed, during the time of 3.2.3 vs. 3.2.2 that the most
requested binary was ubuntu32 bit 3.2.2 and not the ubuntu 3.2.3!
Reason? The filenames where different, because the 3.2.3 specified the
processor type, this could have been confusing. Therefore, I think
it's better to only host the most recent version (older ones only if
not available) and be careful with the filenames.

Another topic: languages!

There are people who are interested in Sage but are bad with English.
I had two email exchanges with spanish speaking people.

Last months languages look like this (the percentage number is my
former estimate for the interest in downloading sage):

1.      en-us   132,157         9.61%
2.      de      16,004  10.87%
3.      fr      10,915  10.91%
4.      en      10,849  8.20%
5.      en-gb   8,758   10.31%
6.      it      5,092   15.42%
7.      es-es   4,912   10.57%
8.      zh-cn   3,289   16.63%
9.      ru      3,000   15.63%
10.     ja      2,387   9.64%
11.     es      1,722   19.69%
12.     pl      1,553   12.36%
13.     nl      1,471   10.81%

I think it would be possible to have some french, italian and spanish
pages. I'll probably do a small german speaking site. I already have
contact with somebody who has interest in doing something for spanish.
I'm not so sure if we can do chinese, japanese and russian... but who
knows ;)
[remember, others did russian, but stopped to update the website:
http://www.sagemath.ru/ ]

Webbrowser war: Firefox wins, and continuing the trend from the past,
the problematic IE6 is now below 5%. There are also some campaigns
against IE6 and therefore I think it is finally dead now.

New page since a couple of days:
http://sagemath.org/tour-graphics.html ... I want to expand this
(double or more) .. any ideas? If so, please send me the code and a
short description. What's especially missing is 3d stuff, diff
equations, vector fields or just "combinatorial"/"coding theory"
things like bitfields or things like the gröbner fan plot.

[1] http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/eventTrackerGuide.html