Hello everybody !!!

I wanted to expand SAGE graph theoretical's functions when I noticed
that the COIN-OR LP solvers were not even available....

I talked about it with a few of you on  SAGE-DEVEL Irc channel, and
ended up writing the beginning of an email to the COIN-OR team before
being hinted that it would be a good idea to ask you before.

There are to my knowledge 3 Linear Program solvers available :
CPLEX ( proprietary )
GLPK ( GPL )
CBC / CLP ( from the COIN-OR libraries.... under the Common Public
License )

Now, when we are talking about performances, there is no doubt that
GLPK is far behind CBC and CPLEX ( who are almost equivalent, still to
my personal experience ). To give you an idea I just did the same
computations using first GLPK and the CBC, the results are crystal
clear :

GLPK : 36 minutes
CBC : 68 seconds

SAGE would **really** be improved with such solvers, and the only
problem ( short of the amount of work to integrate it ) is the License
problem.

And here I am just asking for your advice, because I know nothing
about such matters. I think we really need those COIN-OR libraries,
and plainly most of Graph Algorithms that are missing in SAGE need
complied LP solvers to be efficient.
I do not even think it could solve a SUDOKU in less than 10 minutes
for the moment, and one should not even have to wait ! ;-)

Nathann COHEN