On 2009-Mar-28 14:53:46 -0700, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>I am trying to figure out the best way to automatically determine the
>number of processors and used that information to speed up Sage build.

Note that this should be able to be over-ridden by the operator -
just because a system has (say) 8 cores available doesn't mean that
the sage build should use them all.

>If Python is not available, then I can use this simple C program:
>
>http://github.com/certik/sysconf/blob/master/ncpus.c
>
>but I suspect this will not work on Mac or Windows.

sysconf() is part of POSIX so it should work in any POSIX environment.
Microsoft made a big claim about Windows being POSIX compliant so it
should work there - but may need to link against special libraries.
It should work on OS-X (though I can't test it).

>2) try: cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l

That is far less portable than sysconf() because it _only_ works
on Linux, whereas sysconf() should work on nearly all Unix systems
(and some others).

--
Peter Jeremy