On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Pat LeSmithe <qed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any issues/risks with adding
>
>        extended_valid_elements: "style",
>
> to the tinyMCE.init object in notebook.py (around line 1810)?

I have no idea.  Did you try it?  Did it mess anything up?

> I ask
> because it seems that TinyMCE "removes" from edited and saved text any
> elements not specified in its valid_elements or extended_valid_elements

I find TinyMCE doing that very annoying.  I'm glad you tracked down
this workaround.

> http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/valid_elements
> http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/extended_valid_elements
> .
>
> For example, I can open an editor, click on the HTML icon to "Edit HTML
> Source," and paste, e.g.,
>
> Hello there!<style> div.worksheet {background-color: goldenrod;} </style>
>
> into a textarea.  Alternatively, I can use the plain text editor to
> place this element outside a cell block.  But by default, when I save
> the area with TinyMCE, it replaces <style> and </style> with <!-- and
> -->.  That is, it comments out the style directive.  If I don't include
> "Hello there!," the style does stay, but I need to remember to leave
> that area alone.
>
> It seems the worksheet's first two lines, with the sheet's title and
> system, are off-limits to TinyMCE.  Another possible workaround is to
> add a "field" for custom CSS to this area.  I'm not sure if this would
> cause compatibility headaches.
>
> Anyway, one advantage to preserving style elements across simple edits
> in a browser is that I can use something like (you may need to fix the
> indentation)
>
> s = ''
> @interact
> def _(radius=slider(0.0,1.0,0.05,0.5,'Border radii'), c_in_bord =
> Color('blue'), c_in_back = Color('white'), c_ac_bord = Color('blue'),
> c_ac_back = Color('white')):
>    global s
>    s = ''
>    s += '<style type="text/css">'
>    s += 'div.worksheet {-moz-border-radius: %fem;}' % radius
>    s += 'textarea.cell_input, pre.cell_input, textarea.cell_input_hide,
> pre.cell_input_hide {border-color: %s; background-color: %s;
> -moz-border-radius: %fem;}' % (c_in_bord.html_color(),
> c_in_back.html_color(), radius)
>    s += 'textarea.cell_input_active, div.cell_input_active
> {border-color: %s; background-color: %s; -moz-border-radius: %fem;}' %
> (c_ac_bord.html_color(), c_ac_back.html_color(), radius)
>    s += '</style>'
>    html(s)
>
> to tune a color scheme --- with instant feedback, thanks to auto
> updates! --- and paste the output of "print s" into the plain text
> editor to apply it.  Of course, a built-in function which returns a more
> detailed control panel and other changes to server-side code could
> automate this.
>
> Since this panel may take up lots of space, I propose crossing the input
> grid and color selector controls, to get a new control similar to that
> in the attached screenshot.  Here, all I've done is tweaked a Farbtastic
> demo,
>
> $SAGE_ROOT/local/notebook/javascript/jquery/plugins/farbtastic/demo2.html ,
>
> so this is still just a concept.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> By the way, I may have missed this in the documentation, but is it
> possible to set a transparent background for 2D plots in Sage?

Nope.  Do you somehow want transparent png's to put in a website or
elsewhere?  Does png support transparency? (I just don't know.)  This
would really be a matplotlib question, I think.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics