Hi, I've some experience with google advertising, and my answer is to
that questions no!

1. the reason why it comes up for "sage math" but not for "math" alone
is, simply because a search for "math" is too unspecific and all
others in the pool bidding for this word are selected. indeed, with a
very low probability you will see the same ad here, too.

2. I tried to advertise for sage using the keyword "sage" - that's not
possible, because "sage" is trademark of that other finance software
"sage".

3. I can only think of the possibility, that they use the keyword
"sagemath". But I think it's much more likely that they throw a lot of
money on the math keyword and that's it.

4. Also, don't forget, it's not only about keywords and money. There
is also an equally important measurement by google for the quality of
an ad. That is something based on the text inside the ad and a
language analysis of it and that is compared to the language analysis
of all the texts in the websites. This includes, i think, clustering
of text into topics based on the used words and more.

The optimization of google works that way, that it tries to punish bad
quality ads by charging them with more money (in the bidding) and
better quality ads with good and specific texts are cheaper. If
someone is interested, I can tell you more about that... The goal is
to have an economic model where those players who are "good" [for
google and the users] live longer.

Harald