On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Fredrik Johansson
<fredrik.johans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 30 times sounds plausible. Part of the reason is that mpmath doesn't
> use the Euler-Maclaurin formula (I presume PARI does), thus requiring
> more exponentials, and part is the speed of the exponential function.
> The former can obviously be fixed, and the latter could be fixed with
> Mario Pernici's Taylor series code for gmpy. I don't think mpmath can
> be quite as fast as PARI even with these changes, but I think
> the factor could be 3 rather than 30.

William and Fredrik, whis is your position with regards to gmpy? Do
you want it to ship in Sage?

gmpy is quite nice, that it's short, but I hate that it's written in
handwritten C, instead of using Cython. Sage already has Cython
wrappers for gmp, but I don't know how hard would it be to use them
outside of Sage.

I'd prefer if there could be just one (preferably Cython) wrapper for
gmp and that could be used everywhere.

Ondrej