On Apr 20, 3:53 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 20, 3:44 pm, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 20, 12:17 am, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Hi John,
>
> > I have the same problem I reported with 3.4.1.rc3: on an ubuntu box
> > (perhaps ubuntu 8.04?), Sage() seems broken, leading to failures in
> > randstate.pyx and sage0.py.
>
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux jpalmieri538 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 21:47:28 UTC
> > 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> > I'm appending logs from the failures, plus a sample sage session
> > displaying some problems. What other information would help to track
> > this down?
>
> >   John
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Is this an upgrade (it seems to indicate that by the directory name).

It is an upgrade (based on an uncloned unmodified sage-main), but I
had the same problem with an upgrade and a fresh install of 3.4.1.rc3.

> After checking that there aren't any multiple heads I would recommend
> to nuke devel/sage and force the rebuild of the sage-3.4.1.rc4.spkg.
> Obviously this will delete any work you have been doing in the Sage
> branch (just mentioning it if someone else reads this - I am sure you
> are well aware of this :)).

When I left my office, it was still compiling from scratch, so I'll
also check that version.

> Since no one else has reported the problem with Ubuntu 8.04 (which
> seems to be common) I am not quite sure what to make of it. A failure
> in randstate.pyx does worry me a lot more than Sage().

It's the computer in my office at UW, so if it would help, you could
actually look at the computer...

Also, the failure in randstate.pyx is failing because Sage() is
failing: in the line "s = ZZ(subsage('initial_seed()'))", subsage is
defined to be Sage().

  John