On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:41 AM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>   5. Switch from Clisp to ECL:
>>          http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5929
>
> Yeah, the main issue is not so much getting ecl and then Maxima to
> build, the main problem will be dealing with potential pexpect issues
> that might crop up. The pynac switch will greatly lessen the use of
> Maxima, so that ought to help a lot :)

On the contrary, I'd argue that the pynac switch will greatly lessen
the use of Maxima, making it much harder to catch bugs with the
pexpect interface to maxima which may potentially appear with the
switch from Clisp to ECL.

See the reason why we were able to  track down the bug with
pexpect+maxima/clisp  was because on particular hardware it caused a
failure 2 or 3 times each run of the testsuite... If sage were using
pynac at the time, that number could had been one failure every 10,
20, or more runs of the testsuite. We would still experience lock ups,
just less often and more mysterious...

Is it possible to switch to ECL in one release, have this new
arrangement for maxima thorougly tested in real life, and switch to
pynac in a later release?

Gonzalo