On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM, root <d...@axiom-developer.org> wrote:

> I've just returned from the NSF conference.
>
> There was a big push for teaching, especially related to CAS. I suggested
> a joint effort with the game industry. The idea would be to use a game
> like the bridge building game (www.bridgebuilder-game.com) and a CAS.
>
> The idea of the bridge game is to construct a bridge and then apply a
> load until it fails.  Students could start building a simple model of
> the bridge by attaching matrices to the ends of the beam elements.
> Then they would predict the force to destroy the bridge and
> be measured on how close their model is to the actual result. The next
> class could add stress or strain or young's modulus or gravity load,
> etc.  At the end of 13 weeks, the grades are given by the final
> ranking kept by the game program.
>
> The point of the exercise is to develop the skills to construct models
> using a CAS.
>
> This seems like a "python-can-do-it" kind of project.
> The NSF person at the conference liked the idea a lot.

Thanks for the update. In fact, with my colleagues we were looking for
some kind of a game for our finite elements (FEM) programs, and
building a bridge was one of the ideas we got. I didn't know someone
has already implemented it, even though they don't seem to be using
FEM.

Too bad I am just too busy to write any games, but it'd be cool.

Ondrej