mabshoff wrote:

>>>  * In 3.4.1 prime_pi() was completely broken for even 2^35 because len
>>> (prime_range(2^35)) aborts on sage.math since pari fails to allocate
>>> 124 *GB* of memory.
>> Em, but a failure to allocate sufficient memory should not cause a seg
>> fault - whether or not the memory allocation is sensible or not.
>
> Yeah,  tell me. Either pari and/or Sage's pari interface sucks. It is
> absolutely ridiculous that pari seems to require that much memory, but
> it wouldn't be the first time we find an absolutely insane memory leak
> in pari.

>> Perhaps this is why you are intending putting a limit. I can understand
>> that.
>
> We are talking about two different limits here.

No, we were not - just a confusing way I wrote it. A memory alloction
issue is completely different to limiting an algorithm due to concerns
about it.

As a matter of interested, what does Sage give for
primepi(249999999999999)? Is it the same as Mathematica (7783516108362)?

It would be interesting if it gave the same result as Mathematica on any
of the computers.

In[95]:= PrimePi[249999999999999]
Out[95]= 7783516108362

Dave