Michael,

Thank you for bringing up this issue as it does clarify some aspect of
Sage derived code and licensing.  But, in my mind, the "sage as
interpreter" aspect is a small perturbation on top of the zero-order:

Sage = Python + GPL libraries

That is, for the most part, I view the interpreter as Python itself.
But still the FAQ section is very clear that the presence of all the
GPL libraries loaded into an interpreter is sufficient to make sage
using scripts like Ondrej's GPL bound.  I also understand that not
everyone agrees on this interpretation.

But in my mind, that was the TRIVIAL part of the original question I
asked.  The more subtle aspect is centered around this issue:

* Does "Sharing" a notebook (with other users of the notebook web app)
constitute distribution and is that sufficient to trigger the
application of the GPL?

In other words, do I need to tell my students...

"When you share your Sage notebooks with me and other's in the class,
you must agree to license them under the GPL"

Cheers,

Brian

PS[0] = even though I choose to use the GPL myself sometimes, this is
what I hate about it.  It is too damn complicated.  Even on a strongly
pro-GPL project like Sage, it doesn't seem like most people have any
idea what it says and means.  I don't mean to pick on anyone
individually, but on this thread, I have heard _multiple_ different
and incompatible interpretations of the GPL.

PS[1] = It is even more ironic to me that Ondrej and I are the ones
arguing for the FSF interpretation of the GPL as we are typically
found in the pro-BSD camp.  From my perspective, many Sage devs and
users are doing things with Sage derived code that violates the
canonical interpretation of the GPL.  If that is just fine, then does
the GPL actually mean anything?  (I think it does even though there is
some ambiguity!)