> It is interesting I think that of the two interpretations of the GPL
> represented by the many people in this thread, it seems that
> there are those in the "Rosen camp" as described in
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6366, http://www.rosenlaw.com/lj19.htm
> (Rosen is general counsel of OSI) or the Moglen camp (general
> counsel for the FSF). My personal interpretations of the use
> of the GPL are more in line with Rosen's. For example, Rosen states:

While I may appear to agree with the Moglen/FSF interpretation, I much
prefer the Rosen/OSI interpretation.  The problem is that if I get
taken to court for a GPL violation, neither Rosen nor Moglen get to
decide my fate, some court does.  This creates uncertainty.  A
rational response to uncertainty is conservatism.  I feel that the
more conservative (and less risky) interpretation is the
Moglen/FSF one as it is more restrictive.  I think this is the reason
that the Moglen/FSF interpretation is more commonly taken as "fact" by
companies involved in open source development.

> "In most cases we shouldn't care how the linkage between separate
> programs was technically done, unless that fact helps determine
> whether the creators of the programs designed them with some apparent
> common understanding of what a derivative work would look like. We
> should consider subtle market-based factors as indicators of intent,
> such as whether the resulting program is being sold as an “enhanced”
> version of the original, or whether the original was designed and
> advertised to be improvable “like a library”."
>
> I think Sage is designed to be improvable "like a library". If you agree and
> you
> agree with Rosen's interpretation then I think you also agree that typical
> notebook worksheets are not derivative works. That's my opinion anyway.

Yes, I agree with this hypothetical.

Cheers,

Brian