On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Tim Abbott <tabb...@mit.edu> wrote:

> Sorry for the slow reply.  sage-devel's Reply-To munging drops
> everyone from the Cc: on replies and I'm normally not directly
> subscribed to the list.
>
> (because of this kind of problem, I do think that everyone should run
> their high-traffic mailing lists without any sort of reply-to munging,
> like the Linux folks do)
>
> On May 6, 9:46 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Since they haven't released in several years, this might be a good time to
>> > send them any patches Sage has against ghmm that haven't been applied
>> > there already.
>>
>> Well, William did some pretty deep changes upstream does not want,
>> i.e. Sage does not use the XML interface that they want to keep non-
>> optional, so I am not sure how much of the code should actually go
>> upstream.
>
> Yeah, that does sound potentially problematic.  What is the motivation
> is for avoiding the ghmm XML interface?

The *only* motivation is so that we can build GHMM without requiring any
xml libraries as a dependency.

> Is the plan for Sage to maintain the changes to evade the XML
> interface indefinitely?

Yes.

> Does the Sage patch for this at least not break any functionality in
> upstream ghmm?  If so, I could potentially include it in the Debian
> ghmm package.

In theory (at least wrt this problem) you should be able to just use
the normal Debian ghmm with Sage, since the _only_ reason for my xml
patch is so we can build ghmm.  Since ghmm already builds fine in
Debian, this is a nonissue for you.

>> > I can't figure out what those are, however, because the .spkg in Sage
>> > 3.4.1 seems to have a bunch of patches that don't do anything (i.e. the
>> > file being copied in is replacing an identical file).  Did someone
>> > accidentally overwrite the copies in the upstream directory, or did the
>> > patches all get merged already?
>>
>> Sounds like an accident.
>
> Yeah, that's what I figured.  It'd be helpful if you could shoot me an
> email when that gets cleared up so I can take a look at the Sage
> diffs.
>
>> As is the code in Sage is actually partially
>> broken on Itanium/Linux (some allocator just segfaults), so this ought
>> to be sorted out in Sage 4.0.x. Right now the plan is to do 4.0 before
>> SD 15, 4.0.1 after SD 15 with work from SD 15 and patches that didn't
>> make it into 4.0. and then hopefully sort out everything for Debian
>> for 4.0.2, i.e. about a month from now. Does that fit with your time
>> table?
>>
>> After that we ought to have 4.1 which should deal with the category
>> patches, etc.

William