On May 16, 2:41 am, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
> On May 16, 2009, at 2:25 AM, ahmet alper parker wrote:

<SNIP>

> Of course, philosophical discussions on the merit of GNU/the GPL
> belong on sage-flame, to try and keep sage-devel about more
> development related stuff.

+1 - maybe we need a sage-gpl-flame group soon :)

<SNIP>

> That's great that they're taking interest and want to promote it.
> It's kind of odd if it's conditional though (promote our views on
> software freedom, and we'll promote your project on our pages?).

Well, IMHO that seems to be a fair trade off. After all: The FSF is a
social movement. If this were about drinking the FSF cool aid to get
listed there I would be opposed to that. I have little love for the
FSF and consider myself an Open Source guy, so my feelings toward the
FSF are definitely not neutral.

A last remark: The above mentioned FSF campaign isn't exactly well
known and doesn't have too much reach AFAIK outside the FSF crowd. I
am ware of it, but that is because I often end up on the FSF website
for various reasons. I wouldn't worry too much about it and the OP
just quoted the FSF about "Open Source missing the point". Fair
enough, there are philosophical differences. Nothing to see here, go
along ;). In the end discussing this here will just lead to an all-out
flame fest, so I am stopping now.

> - Robert

Cheers,

Michael