On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 04:40:50PM +0200, William Stein wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Nicolas M.
> > To ease the reviewing of the category code, and also to make it more
> > generic and useful, I have extracted the test framework code out of
> > the categories and into SageObject.
> >
> > See also: http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/msg/0586b64f72435629
> >
> > Anyone up for reviewing it?
>
> Change the name from obj.check() to obj._check().  It is not
> reasonable that if one does obj.<tab> on *any* Sage object, one
> sees check.

Thanks for the feedback. I readily changed the .tester gadget to
._tester as you suggested; this one was definitely internal. I am not
so sure though for .check, and for all the .test_... methods:

 - I definitely see the point of not cluttering the tab completion
   x.<tab>, in particular when x=1.

 - On the other hand, this is a functionality we definitely want to
   advertise, and not just among developers. Things like
   .test_associativity are also a tool for users who want to test
   conjectural mathematical properties of their pet algebraic
   structure (say a semi-group).  This is one of my big motivations
   for the category stuff: empowering any user to construct in a
   couple lines such a structure.

 - I tried to stay close to the testunit conventions, where the test
   methods are named .test*. But anyway we are already not quite
   consistent with it, since we make the abuse of merging together a
   SageObject and its TestCase.

 - We also don't want different naming conventions for testing
   parents, elements, or other sage objects.

So, before proceeding, I would like to be sure that there is a
consensus there, especially since I already advertised this
functionality quite some, and the issued had not been raised yet (I am
a bit lazy also, since I would now need to do the changes in a couple
patches).

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/