> Yes, the parallel build code was reworked for 4.0.1.  Not sure why
> we're seeing this, but still.

Well, the parallel build code in 4.0.1 *should* be contained to the
sage build itself (it's in sage's setup.py, and it's a separate
builder that one has to instantiate). I won't say it's impossible,
because I know I'd have to eat my words, but I think it's at least
pretty unlikely.

That said, I think this is an issue with some race condition in our
build process. I don't have a 10.4.11 machine to look into this, and I
definitely don't want to before 4.0.2 (which is done) -- one can
simply unset MAKE and the problem goes away. ;)

Georg, you should definitely file a ticket for this on trac ...
hopefully someone will start looking into it during the next release
cycle.

-cc