Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> Before building gcc 4.4.0 on 't2' I needed to build mpfr, as it is
> perquisite for gcc.
>
> I built the latest version of mpfr (2.4.1) using the Sun supplied gcc
> 3.4.2 in /usr/sfw/bin. mpfr built and passed all 148 tests.
>

> With the aid:
>
> 1) The aid of a patch to atlas
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6276
> (still needs review)
>
> and
>

> 2) An update to binutils 2.19
>
> the following Sage packages all build ok.
>
> atlas-3.8.3.p4
> blas-20070724
> bzip2-1.0.5
> conway_polynomials-0.2
> dir-0.1
> eclib-20080310.p7
> elliptic_curves-0.1
> extcode-4.0.2
> f2c-20070816.p1
> flint-1.3.0.p1
> fortran-20071120.p5
> freetype-2.3.5.p0
> gd-2.0.35.p1
> gdmodule-0.56.p5
> givaro-3.2.13rc2
> gnutls-2.2.1.p1
> graphs-20070722
> gsl-1.10.p1
> iml-1.0.1.p11
> ipython-0.9.1
> lapack-20071123.p0
> libgcrypt-1.4.3.p0
> libgpg_error-1.6.p0
> libpng-1.2.35
> linbox-1.1.6
> matplotlib-0.98.5.3rc0-svn6910.p3
> mercurial-1.1.2
> mpir-1.2.p4
> ntl-5.4.2.p7
> numpy-1.3.0
> opencdk-0.6.6
> pari-2.3.3.p0
> prereq-0.3
> python-2.5.4.p1
> readline-5.2.p6
> sage_scripts-4.0.2
> sqlite-3.5.3.p4
> termcap-1.3.1.p0
> zlib-1.2.3.p4
>

> However, Sage includes mpfr 2.4.1 as one of its packages (the exact same
> version I used to build gcc). But in Sage, mpfr fails 20 of the tests.
> But Sage is not to blame!!
>
> Trying to build mpfr 2.4.1 outside of Sage with the gcc 4.4.0 compiler
> results in 20 test failures too. An attempt to reduce optimisation did
> not help. So to date, I'm unable to build mpfr 2.3.1 with gcc 4.4.0.
>
> This is of course one of those things that could have many reasons for
> the problem  - mpfr, libtool, gcc, gnu assembler/linker ... etc etc.
>
> Last time I looked (an hour ago), the mpfr website was down, so I can't

For what it is worth, I just built gcc 4.4.0 on my Sun Blade 2000
(Solaris 10 update 6) but using the Sun assembler and linker. I
configured it with:

$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.10
Configured with: ../gcc-4.4.0/configure CC=/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
--prefix=/export/home/drkirkby/install-gcc-4.4.0-Sun-as-ld
--with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as --without-gnu-as --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld
--without-gnu-ld --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran
--with-mpfr-include=/export/home/drkirkby/install-mpfr-2.3.1/include
--with-mpfr-lib=/export/home/drkirkby/install-mpfr-2.3.1/lib
--with-gmp-include=/export/home/drkirkby/install-gmp-4.3.1/include
--with-gmp-lib=/export/home/drkirkby/install-gmp-4.3.1/lib
--with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.4.0 (GCC)
drkir...@kestrel:[~/mp] $

After that, I used that gcc to build mpfr 2.4.1, which had failed
miserably with gcc 4.4.0 on 't2'. That resulted in all tests passed on
my Blade 2000.

====================
All 148 tests passed
====================

I'm just in the process of downloading sage 4.0.2 to my Blade 2000 and
will try to compile Sage 4.0.2 with the gcc 4.4.0 I built using the Sun
linker and assembler, rather than the GNU ones as Micheal's toolchain
used, and what I used when building gcc 4.4.0 on 't2'.

There are a few things to make me suspect that gcc built with the Sun
linker and assembler (/usr/ccs/bin/as and /usr/ccs/bin/ld), rather than
the GBU ones from binutils, may be a better choice. These are:

* Sun ship gcc, which uses their own linker and assembler.
* The developers of libtool, who clearly know a thing or two about
linking programs, think the GNU tools are a disaster on SPARC.
* Some comments from a Sun employee.
* General comments I've seen over the years.

Does anyone know if Michael had a good reason for choosing the GNU
utils? It's very possible there is some code in Sage which assumes the
use of the GNU tools, and starts passing GNU-specific flags. In which
case, he may have felt he had no choice. I don;t know, but there is no
harm in trying to build with the Sun linker and assembler. Certainly for
mpfr, it was successful on my personal SPARC.

Dave