2009/6/21 Dr. David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>:

> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> Before building gcc 4.4.0 on 't2' I needed to build mpfr, as it is
>> perquisite for gcc.
>>
>> I built the latest version of mpfr (2.4.1) using the Sun supplied gcc
>> 3.4.2 in /usr/sfw/bin. mpfr built and passed all 148 tests.
>>

>> With the aid:
>>
>> 1) The aid of a patch to atlas
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6276
>> (still needs review)
>>
>> and
>>

>> 2) An update to binutils 2.19
>>
>> the following Sage packages all build ok.
>>
>> atlas-3.8.3.p4
>> blas-20070724
>> bzip2-1.0.5
>> conway_polynomials-0.2
>> dir-0.1
>> eclib-20080310.p7
>> elliptic_curves-0.1
>> extcode-4.0.2
>> f2c-20070816.p1
>> flint-1.3.0.p1
>> fortran-20071120.p5
>> freetype-2.3.5.p0
>> gd-2.0.35.p1
>> gdmodule-0.56.p5
>> givaro-3.2.13rc2
>> gnutls-2.2.1.p1
>> graphs-20070722
>> gsl-1.10.p1
>> iml-1.0.1.p11
>> ipython-0.9.1
>> lapack-20071123.p0
>> libgcrypt-1.4.3.p0
>> libgpg_error-1.6.p0
>> libpng-1.2.35
>> linbox-1.1.6
>> matplotlib-0.98.5.3rc0-svn6910.p3
>> mercurial-1.1.2
>> mpir-1.2.p4
>> ntl-5.4.2.p7
>> numpy-1.3.0
>> opencdk-0.6.6
>> pari-2.3.3.p0
>> prereq-0.3
>> python-2.5.4.p1
>> readline-5.2.p6
>> sage_scripts-4.0.2
>> sqlite-3.5.3.p4
>> termcap-1.3.1.p0
>> zlib-1.2.3.p4
>>

>> However, Sage includes mpfr 2.4.1 as one of its packages (the exact same
>> version I used to build gcc). But in Sage, mpfr fails 20 of the tests.
>> But Sage is not to blame!!
>>
>> Trying to build mpfr 2.4.1 outside of Sage with the gcc 4.4.0 compiler
>> results in 20 test failures too. An attempt to reduce optimisation did
>> not help. So to date, I'm unable to build mpfr 2.3.1 with gcc 4.4.0.
>>
>> This is of course one of those things that could have many reasons for
>> the problem  - mpfr, libtool, gcc, gnu assembler/linker ... etc etc.
>>
>> Last time I looked (an hour ago), the mpfr website was down, so I can't
>>

> For what it is worth, I just built gcc 4.4.0 on my Sun Blade 2000
> (Solaris 10 update 6) but using the Sun assembler and linker. I
> configured it with:
>
> $ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.10
> Configured with: ../gcc-4.4.0/configure CC=/usr/sfw/bin/gcc
> [...]

Michael worked on the Solaris port pretty much by himself, so I don't
think anybody knows why he did anything in particular related to it.
I do recall him swearing about linkers at several points, but I can't
remember why.

I strongly agree that there is no harm at all in building a toolchain
on t2 on the Sun linker and assembler.  It will always be there as a
first test when you run into a problem building Sage.

William