Hi Golam,

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:53:17 -0300
Golam Mortuza Hossain <gmhoss...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am seeking your opinion to finalize the conventions
> for three generalized functions that I am implementing currently.
>
> My proposals are:
>
> (1) These generalized functions be included in a new module as
>
>       "sage.functions.generalized"
>
> (2) Dirac delta:
>
>    (a) represented as:   "dirac_delta"    [ex. dirac_delta(x) ]
>    (b) latex name     :    "\delta"
>    (c)  dirac_delta(0) : will return a symbolic expression
> "dirac_delta(0)"

+1 to these.

For some points below, MMA has different behavior than you suggest. I
only intend to provide more data below. I don't really use these
functions, so it would be better if other people comment on the
evaluation and printing.

> (3) Heaviside Theta:
>
>    (a) represented as:   "heaviside_theta"
>    (b) latex name     :    "\theta"
>    (c) heaviside_theta(0) =  1/2

MMA leaves this unevaluated, Maple returns "undefined"

In[2]:= HeavisideTheta[0]

Out[2]= HeavisideTheta[0]

> Heaviside(0);
                                   undefined

> (3) Unit Step:

AFAICT, Maple doesn't define a different function for this.

>    (a) represented as:   "unit_step"
>    (b) latex name     :    "{\rm u}"

MMA prints this as \theta as well:

In[3]:= TeXForm[UnitStep[x]]