Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
Sebastian Pancratz <s...@pancratz.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> After writing some SAGE code, profiling it and talking about it with
> Martin Albrecht (more on that in another post a bit later), it turns
> out that it spends a lot of time creating, adding and multiplying
> univariate polynomials over the rationals.  There is already a ticket
> (#4000)
>
>    http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/4000
>
> with some further details about this.
>
> While I won't have much time this very week, I would very much like to
> offer to work on this in the two weeks after that.  (As indicated
> above this does affect my own code, and since the trac ticket suggests
> an improvement by a factor of at least 10, I'd be quite motivated!)
> However, I am not sure I know enough about SAGE yet, so I want to ask
> whether anyone (who perhaps has already looked at the implementation
> of polynomials over the rationals in SAGE but doesn't have enough
> time/ motivation to implemented the suggested change) would be
> interested in helping me to get started on that/ reply to the
> occasional email when I have problems?

I would really like to see this implemented too. I would be glad to
answer any questions.

I suggest you start looking at the wrapper for FLINT's zmod_poly
type here:

sage/rings/polynomial/polynomial_zmod_flint.pyx

It uses the polynomial templates Robert Bradshaw and Martin Albrecht
wrote at SD10 in Nancy:

sage/rings/polynomial/polynomial_template.pxi

You would essentially need to write a file such as this

sage/libs/flint/zmod_poly_linkage.pxi

which does the basic operations.

You don't need to worry about the get_cparent() magic defined in the
zmod_poly wrapper, since you won't need to keep track of a modulus for
your polynomial objects.

Many many thanks for volunteering to do this.

Cheers,
Burcin