John H Palmieri wrote:

>> I tried arguing this one before, but I appeared to have lost.
>
> No, last time you seemed to agree with it -- see the previous thread:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/b3e57f934ee83c79?tvc=2
>
> As far as the new suggestion ("WARNING ...") I really don't like all-
> caps unless there is a good reason for using them.  Unless we have
> evidence that the current warning is inadequate, I would prefer to
> leave it as is.
>
>   John

I don't think I exactly agreed with it, but accepted it. My words were

"It's better I feel. It makes the point a bit more."

The 'better' was relative to an earlier version, which was even less
obvious.

Personally I feel you can not make the warning too obvious. It needs to
be very obvious, since it is important. Therefore personally I feel the
use of all capitals is better.

Timothy Clemans clearly preferred my version. Minh Nguyen said I was
"hurting his ears" on that thread, which I take as meaning he was not
keen on the use of all the capital letters (I can't say I asked him).

If there were only pre-release versions of Sage available, and no stable
release, then a less prominent message may be ok. But when there are
stable releases, and someone is using one that has not had much testing,
I believe that should be done in the clearest possible terms.

Also, given the very fast release cycle of Sage (compared to things like
Mathematica, not iTunes), by the time someone is using a pre-release
version, there is probably already a later stable release.

But ultimately it is a personal thing. I think it would be hard to come
up with statistically significant quantitative evidence to prove one is
better than the other.

It is all down to personal choice.