On Aug 2, 11:19 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:

> If there were only pre-release versions of Sage available, and no stable
> release, then a less prominent message may be ok. But when there are
> stable releases, and someone is using one that has not had much testing,
> I believe that should be done in the clearest possible terms.
>
> Also, given the very fast release cycle of Sage (compared to things like
> Mathematica, not iTunes), by the time someone is using a pre-release
> version, there is probably already a later stable release.

My view is, it takes some effort to get a prerelease version of Sage.
You don't just go to sagemath.org and click "Download" -- that always
gives you the latest stable version, as far as I can tell.  (Do you
have to read sage-devel or sage-release to know about the prerelease
versions?)  Because of this, I hope that someone using a prerelease
knows enough about what they're doing that we don't need flashing
lights and ringing bells to warn them -- a reminder should be good
enough.

If someone is imposing a pre-release version on other people by some
sort of system-wide installation, then the person doing the installing
is probably making a mistake.  I hope that the other users will see
the current warning and send email to the installer saying "Hey, what
does 'unstable' mean?  What happened to the old version?"

  John