rjf wrote:

> The idea that one should "patch" the code in Maxima without knowing
> what that code does (or should do) or that someone involved in the
> Maxima project should make a substantive program content fix  from one
> version to another to make the ECL compiler happy --- when no other
> compiler is affected is pretty much backward.

I don't see any problem here. The patch is harmless and may
even do some good so far as I can tell. I've applied it.

I don't know what the big deal is. The code was an archaism
(probably worked OK in the 70s) and should have been updated
like the rest. If anyone was paying attention they could have
fixed it long ago. Who cares how the bug was found,
at least it's fixed now.

We can be grateful that anybody outside the project
is still paying attention to Maxima.

FWIW

Robert Dodier