David Joyner wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Dr. David Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
>> I need some guidance on what do about some issues we have. I'll
>> summarise, since not everyone is going to be aware of them.
>>
>> 1) Sage will not build on Solaris SPARC due to issues in the latest
>> official ecl. (It is not the only issue, but is one of them).
>>
>> 2) The ecl developers have solved that, and there is a CVS snapshot
>> which builds ecl ok on Solaris. A new ecl release will be out in less
>> than a week.
>>
>> 3) I created a ecl.spkg, based on a snapshot I took yesterday, which
>> allows ecl to build on Solaris.
>>
>> I put it at
>>
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/ecl-9.4.1.p0/ecl-9.4.1.p0.spkg
>>
>> 4) We are not using the latest maxima. (Sage uses 5.16.3 with a couple
>> of patches (maxima-5.16.3.p2.spkg)
>>
>> 5) The latest maxima is maxima-5.18.1
>>
>> 6) The problem persists in the latest maxima.
>>
>> 7) An ecl devoper has created patches against the latest maxima in cvs.
>

> I'm not an expert on these matters, so pardon me if this is a dumb question.
> If I understyand you correctly then the latest maxima builds against this
> new version of ecl in your spkg. If that is correct, then I wonder if there is
> also a new spkg for this latest version of maxima. If so, others could try
> testing them against other achitectures.

No, you have mis-understood me, which is entirely my fault, as I did not
make my post very clear. (I did later correct it, but it is my fault)

Maxima will *not* build with my ecl.spkg. When a new release of ecl is
made in a week or so, Maxima will not build with that either.

It appears Maxima has a bug, which the earlier versions of ecl did not
notice, but the soon to be released version will. (My ecl.spkg is based
on that 'soon to be released version')

However, when I pointed out the issue with maxima to the ecl developer,
he has created patches to Maxima and has sent them to the Maxima mailing
list.

As of today, the only way to get everything working is to use the CVS,
which is not of course well tested. Using official releases of Maxima or
ecl will not work.

A new ecl will be released this week. That would fix the Solaris issues
with Sage, but break maxima.

Dave