On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Minh Nguyen<nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kiran,
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 3:10 AM, Kiran Kedlaya<ksk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 64-bit Fedora 10, I get a build failure in cliquer. The relevant
>> snippet from the install log is below.
>>
>> This looks like a case of 32/64 confusion, which I am no stranger to.
>> This machine runs on a primarily 32-bit network, and in the past we've
>> discovered various build problems due to this. For instance, the local
>> gcc in /usr/bin is 64-bit, but the NFS one in /usr/local/bin is 32-
>> bit, so I have to configure my path appropriately. In this case, it's
>> somehow trying to find stubs-32.h instead of stubs-64.h, but I don't
>> know why.
>
> This issue is now ticket #6746
>
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6746
>
> John Palmieri has also reported a similar problem with 64-bit OS X.
> But in his case, he successfully compiled cliquer but the thing
> churned out an error upon loading.

When I do "sage -upgrade" for my sage-4.1 install on sage.math, it fails with

Installing c_lib
scons: `install' is up to date.
Updating Cython code....Time to execute 0 commands: 1.59740447998e-05
secondsFinished compiling Cython code (time = 0.329243183136 seconds)
running install
running buildrunning build_pyrunning build_extbuilding
'sage.graphs.cliquer' extension
gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/scratch/wstein/build/sage
/local//include -I/scratch/wstein/build/sage/local//include/csage
-I/scratch/wstein/build/sage/devel//sage/sage/ext
-I/scratch/wstein/build/sage/local/include/python2.6 -c
sage/graphs/cliquer.c -o
build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.6/sage/graphs/cliquer.o -w
sage/graphs/cliquer.c:135:27: error: cliquer/graph.h: No such file or directory
sage/graphs/cliquer.c:136:29: error: cliquer/cliquer.h: No such file
or directorysage/graphs/cliquer.c:137:29: error: cliquer/reorder.h: No
such file or directorysage/graphs/cliquer.c:138:24: error:
cliquer/cl.h: No such file or directoryerror: command 'gcc' failed
with exit status 1
sage: There was an error installing modified sage library code.

The problem is that Sage is building the library but the cliquer spkg
wasn't installed.

This is because sage-4.1.1.spkg is installed *before* cliquer.   This
makes no sense, because spkg/standard/deps file has the cliquer must
be installed by sage is installed.

# All components that are linked against extensions need to be listed here
$(INST)/$(SAGE):  $(INST)/$(SAGE_SCRIPTS) \
                  $(INST)/$(CLIQUER) \

Ah ha!  There is no CLIQUER section in spkg/install for this upgrade!
That gets updated during upgrade via:

http://www.sagemath.org//spkg/install --> install

I put the released sage-4.1.1's spkg/install file in
/home/sage/www-files/spkg/install and now when I do "sage -upgrade"
cliquer is properly installed.

So... everything is fixed now, but we *must* remember to update the
install file in addition to spkg/standard/deps in the future, or fix
the automation script that exports a new sage version.

 -- William