Golam Mortuza Hossain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Dr. David
> Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> A decision needs to be made about updating Maxima. First a few facts.
>>

>> * The version of Maxima (5.16.3) in Sage is quite old.
>> * The version of ECL (9.4.1) in Sage is quite old.
>> * The old ECL 9.4.1 will not build on Solaris with a SPARC processor.
>> * The updated ECL will not work with the old Maxima due to a bug in the
>> old Maxima.
>> * I've created packages for *almost* the latest versions of ECL and Maxima.
>>
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/ecl-9.8.3/
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/maxima-5.19.0/
>>
>> Both have had an updates in the last week. I can easily update these,
>> but don't wish to waste my time unless these are likely to get put into
>> Sage. (The updates in both cases are minor anyway).
>>
>> I've created trac tickets
>>
>> update ECL
>> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6564
>>
>> update Maxima
>> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6699
>>
>> Others have tested these and find the .spkg's work, but the new maxima
>> creates many doctest failures.
>>
>> One very nice one is this:
>>
>>            sage: integral( exp(-x^2)*ln(x), x, 0, oo)
>>        Expected:
>>            integrate(e^(-x^2)*log(x), x, 0, +Infinity)
>>        Got:
>>            -1/4*(euler_gamma + 2*log(2))*sqrt(pi)
>>
>> Another less nice one is this:
>>
>>     sage: 'gcd' in m.trait_names()
>> Expected:
>>     True
>> Got:
>>     False
>>

>> This is clearly going to need some work by different people. So a
>> decision needs to be made really on whether an update takes place.
>> Otherwise, there is no point people wasting time re-writing the doctests
>> and any other changes that are necessary.
>

> +1
>
> IMO, we should definitely upgrade to the latest versions of both.
> Could you please give the number (roughly) of doctest failures in all?
>
> Best,
> Golam

I got 56 failures on Solaris. A log can be found at

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/attachment/ticket/6709/test.log

But I do not think Sage has ever passed all tests on SPARC, so I suspect
some of these might be Solaris specific. Clearly some are not though.
This 'failure' is actually an improvement.

            sage: integral( exp(-x^2)*ln(x), x, 0, oo)
        Expected:
            integrate(e^(-x^2)*log(x), x, 0, +Infinity)
        Got:
            -1/4*(euler_gamma + 2*log(2))*sqrt(pi)

Currently the Maxiama update

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/6699

is marked as '[with spkg; needs work]' but there is nothing I can do to
it. The package itself installs ok, and executes roughly how one would
expect.

My own view would be to stick this in an alpha.0 release, complete with
the failures, then sort out the issues before making a new 'supported'
release.

It needs a bit more work than most packages and it is work for the most
part I'm unable to do. (I'm not a mathematician).

Dave