Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
> A decision needs to be made about updating Maxima. First a few facts.
>

> * The version of Maxima (5.16.3) in Sage is quite old.
> * The version of ECL (9.4.1) in Sage is quite old.
> * The old ECL 9.4.1 will not build on Solaris with a SPARC processor.
> * The updated ECL will not work with the old Maxima due to a bug in the
> old Maxima.
> * I've created packages for *almost* the latest versions of ECL and Maxima.
>
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/ecl-9.8.3/
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/maxima-5.19.0/

I've now changed them to be the very latest versions (at least they were
when I last checked < 24 hours ago).

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/maxima-5.19.1/
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/ecl-9.8.4/

I've created a number of trac tickets for various issues. Adam has
sorted a lot of them out. There are still some Solaris-specific issues
to resolve, but I think all except one issue has been resolved for linux
systems.