Hi,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Jason Grout<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> I guess, a policy decision is involved here as to whether use mathematical
>> identities by default or as an option during comparison. To clarify:
>>
>> ex = sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 - 1
>>
>> In pynac, for above expression "ex.is_zero()" test will result False by
>> default
>> where as current maxima based comparison will return True.
>>
>> Personally, I feel we should have a flag something like
>>
>> (1) ex.is_zero(use_identity=False)
>>
> perhaps ex.is_zero(simplify=False) ?

Yes, thats even better.

So the next BIG question is what should be the *default* value
of this flag for comparison?  In other words, by default do we call
maxima or accept pynac's False return as definitive?

Personally, I am for accepting pynac's answer by default as it
would massively speed up test like "if x in list" for symbolics.

Cheers,
Golam