On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
<david.kir...@onetel.net>wrote:

> I've just run 'make test' on Sage. That has now completed. Sage is not
> being used, nor anything else that uses python.
>
> What I see is that there are 3 Maxima processes running, all using lots
> of CPU time. Python is still running too. As you can see, the load
> average is quite high too.
>
> For reasons I don't know, Sage is not exiting cleanly for me, but
> leaving things running that eat up my CPU time. This is not the first
> time I've seen this, and doubt it will be the last. Does anyone have any
> idea what might be the cause?
>

> I see this comment at the bottom of the 'sage' script:
>
> # This should kill all children of this process too.
> # Uncomment this if you have trouble with orphans.
> # Note that you'll get an annoying "Killed" message
> # whenver Sage exists.
> # kill -9 -$$
>
> Obviously uncommenting that might be a hack, but it is not really the
> solution. Does anyone have an idea why things don't exit cleanly?
>

> drkir...@smudge:[~/sage/sa

What operating system does "smudge" run?

There is a program called "sage-cleaner" that repeatedly sends kill -9's to
any processes that are left running.  Processes register themselves in
$HOME/.sage/... by creating certain pid files, and if the Sage that started
them is no longer running, then the "sage-cleaner" daemon will repeatedly
kill them until they die.    If sage-cleaner isn't running and you type
"sage" at the command line, it is automatically started.  It exists a minute
or so after all other sage-related processes exit.

So, is sage-cleaner running for you when you witness you hung lisp/maxima
processes problem?     Are there any other sage processes running?  If you
run Sage again, do the lisp/maxima processes then die?

Have a look at local/bin/sage-cleaner, by the way.

 -- William