William Stein wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net <mailto:david.kir...@onetel.net>> wrote:
>

>     I've just run 'make test' on Sage. That has now completed. Sage is not
>     being used, nor anything else that uses python.
>
>     What I see is that there are 3 Maxima processes running, all using lots
>     of CPU time. Python is still running too. As you can see, the load
>     average is quite high too.
>
>     For reasons I don't know, Sage is not exiting cleanly for me, but
>     leaving things running that eat up my CPU time. This is not the first
>     time I've seen this, and doubt it will be the last. Does anyone have any
>     idea what might be the cause?
>

>     I see this comment at the bottom of the 'sage' script:
>
>     # This should kill all children of this process too.
>     # Uncomment this if you have trouble with orphans.
>     # Note that you'll get an annoying "Killed" message
>     # whenver Sage exists.
>     # kill -9 -$$
>
>     Obviously uncommenting that might be a hack, but it is not really the
>     solution. Does anyone have an idea why things don't exit cleanly?
>

>     drkir...@smudge:[~/sage/sa
>

> What operating system does "smudge" run?

Guess! Whatever you first think of will be right!

> There is a program called "sage-cleaner" that repeatedly sends kill -9's
> to any processes that are left running.  Processes register themselves
> in $HOME/.sage/... by creating certain pid files, and if the Sage that
> started them is no longer running, then the "sage-cleaner" daemon will
> repeatedly kill them until they die.    If sage-cleaner isn't running
> and you type "sage" at the command line, it is automatically started.
> It exists a minute or so after all other sage-related processes exit.
That does not appear to be happening.

drkir...@smudge:[~] $ prstat
    PID USERNAME  SIZE   RSS STATE  PRI NICE      TIME  CPU PROCESS/NLWP
   3260 drkirkby   30M   24M run      0    0  14:04:57  29% maxima/1
  15387 drkirkby   34M   28M cpu0     0    0  15:56:08  27% maxima/1

For some reason, the PIDs are not always getting saved and/or the
processes are not being killed. As you can see above, process 15385 and
3260 have used a lot of CPU time.

drkir...@smudge:[~/.sage] $ find . -name 15387
drkir...@smudge:[~/.sage] $ find . -name 626I

I just started 'make test' (1430 local time) and looked in
$HOME/temp/smudge and see some files created yesterday, and one just
created.
drkir...@smudge:[~/.sage/temp/smudge] $ ls -lrt
total 13
drwxr-xr-x   3 drkirkby other          4 Aug 23 20:30 15353
drwxr-xr-x   3 drkirkby other          4 Aug 23 22:12 831
drwxr-xr-x   3 drkirkby other          3 Aug 23 22:12 902
drwxr-xr-x   3 drkirkby other          4 Aug 23 22:26 3226
drwxr-xr-x   3 drkirkby other          3 Aug 24 14:30 4097

> So, is sage-cleaner running for you when you witness you hung
> lisp/maxima processes problem?     Are there any other sage processes
> running?  If you run Sage again, do the lisp/maxima processes then die?
>
> Have a look at local/bin/sage-cleaner, by the way.

I will do.