On Aug 22, 11:53 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:

> What would be good is if we could have the exact same one Mathematica
> uses, but doing that without Wolfram Research's permission could be a
> breach of copyright.

Uhm, it could be a copyright on the original test, but my personal
view is that a benchmark test is designed to be copied, including
translation to other systems for comparison. That's its purpose after
all.
It's maybe prohibited by the terms of usage to do any benchmarking,
but that's another story [I think I've heard something like that about
microsoft's sql server]

> Of course, even if they did agree, you can bet the next version of
> Mathematica would have in its benchmark something Sage can't do!

Well, I guess there are enough functions that are not in Sage.

My view (for the website) is that we should only show tests that could
be done at least on one other system (if not mma, then maple, ... I
would even go so far to compare svd from numpy with matlab!) to give
comparisons and usage examples.