2009/8/23 Nick Alexander <ncalexan...@gmail.com>:

> I'm a few uncut-quote-plus-one-line-replies away from no longer
> reading sage-devel.  The signal to noise ratio has plummeted; several
> important developers no longer read; many more rarely contribute.  One
> personal reason is the poor netiquette on list: compared to other
> lists I browse, this one is difficult to read.  So this helps because
> I am making a personal effort to improve my personal experience here.

First, note that I cut all but the relevant paragraph!

My point is that a lot of sage-devel readers and contributors, like me
and most of the contributors to this thread, use gmail.  Now gmail
automatically hides quoted text, replacing it by a tiny link "show
quoted text".  There can be a lot of text under that link, and it is
very easy to send a 1-line reply to what looks like a 1-line post
forgetting that you might be sending another 500 lines.

Perhaps we would be better off if gmail did not have this feature (can
one turn it off?  I have not looked).  I cannot be the only one who
sometimes sees a one-line reply saying, perhaps "Yes, I totally agree
with that" to an invisible quoted comment, but such that after
clicking on the  "show quoted text"  just to see what is agreed with,
such a vast quantity of quoted stuff is revealed that I don't even
bother...

John