On Aug 23, 4:15 am, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now gmail
> automatically hides quoted text, replacing it by a tiny link "show
> quoted text".

I read sage-devel and sage-support via the web and as John has
mentioned for gmail, on the web the quoted-text also gets compressed
into a single, expandable line.  So "excessive quoting" isn't a big
annoyance, and if you need to see what is being quoted, it's not hard
to toggle it on and back off again.  I find the email versions of the
posts extremely hard to follow though when viewed in an email client
(Thunderbird in my case).

However, it seems that when I edit a reply on the web (as I did above,
and as John did in his post) this expandable quoting feature gets
broken.  So if I was as passionate as Nick, I could argue that those
who edit their replies are actually making reading harder on the web
(but I don't necessarily really believe that).

So for the high-traffic groups (sage-devel, sage-support) I don't get
any email and I just regularly pop into the group on the web to look
at what interests me and the "user experience" is OK no matter how
quoting is handled by posters.  For the low-traffic groups (e.g. sage-
edu, sage-release) I have emails sent and then filtered into mailboxes
so I know when there is activity, and then I usually go read these on
the web rather than look at the email versions.

Rob