On 8/24/09, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder -- if Maxima's basic arithmetic -- e.g., simplifying 1+2 --
> is super slow for some abstract reason, I wonder if it is taking
> longer and longer to compute the next prompt number.  That would be
> pretty funny.  Is there any way to turn off the prompt numbers?

Hmm, my guess is that since Maxima by default maintains a list of
all previous inputs and outputs, it might take longer and longer to
append to that list ... Within Maxima, try nolabels:true; (constructs
and displays labels but doesn't construct the list).
Or: put print(elapsed_real_time()); in your script and load("myscript.mac");
(parses and evaluates all the stuff in the script but doesn't create
labels).

HTH

Robert Dodier