Hi

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:06:19PM +1000, Minh Nguyen wrote:
> > In fact, I am not sure how sage -t is supposed top work. Where should the
> > testfile
> > be? Even root cannot run it:
>
> See ticket #6908
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6908
> for some instructions on how to doctest.

Thanks.

According to that I see no way for a user to use a systemwide sage
installation to test their own modules (not intended for ever
bing included in sage, just modules they write and wish to test;
in fact part of a course on sage). It says:
"With a regular user account, the following syntax is not recommended "
and shows a couple

Our situation is a root owned installation in /usr/local/src/,
and a user using this, with their own files.sage in /home/user/,
where they wish to test some of their files.sage.

Should a user in such a case be using sage -t at all?
Or is there some other way they should be using?
I mean, I have a user (lecturer) who found it and wants
to use it to test his utility routines.

He can sage -t happily on his laptop and own installation,
but not on the computer lab desktops. There is no space
for a per-user sage installation. There is a per-desktop
root-owned installation.  We set SAGE_TESTDIR to ~/.sage and
even changed permissions on /usr/local/src/sage-4.1.1/tmp/tmp,
and /usr/local/src/sage-4.1.1/tmp/, and put the test file there
so that it is in a sub directory of SAGE_ROOT.

regards,
Jan

--
   .~.