Hi, yesterday I came across the so called "metalinks"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalink
Then, last night I've created metalinks for all sage download files.
They are an xml file with multiple sources (list of all mirrors), they
include hashcodes, and even hashcodes for partial chunks to repair
broken downloads. To make it complete, I also created a torrent and
included it in the metalink file. For now this makes no sense since we
do not seed torrents, but who knows what will come ... btw, metalinks
are used by ubuntu, openoffice, yum (linux package management) and may
more.

What now? Now it is possible to resume paused downloads, your client
downloads from multiple mirrors at once concurrently (like
bittorrent), and from what i have tested the clients automatically
select the best mirror for you! There are even some, that download via
http/ftp and start sharing the partial data via bittorrent.
I've added a paragraph to the download+installation guide:
http://wiki.sagemath.org/DownloadAndInstallationGuide
here an example:
http://www.sagemath.org/mirror/win/meta/sage-vmware-4.1.1.zip.metalink
[xml, plain text]

Conclusion: all of you with moderate bandwidth who do not want to
start downloading again if something breaks, i suggest to use this.
The easiest way to get it is through this firefox extension:
http://www.downthemall.net/

And yes, this mail is also a request for testing ;)
[not all mirrors are in sync, so use the metalinks from
http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/ ]