On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

>> So what would your thoughts be, if someone one to propose package X is
>> added, despite the fact it will not build on all of the following?
>>
>> 1) Build as 32-bit gcc on SPARC
>> 2) Build as 64-bit gcc on SPARC
>> 3) Build as 32-bit with Sun's compiler on SPARC
>> 4) Build as 64-bit with Sun's compiler on SPARC
>>
>> 5) Build as 32-bit gcc on x64
>> 6) Build as 64-bit gcc on x64
>> 7) Build as 32-bit with Sun's compiler on x86
>> 8) Build as 64-bit with Sun's compiler on x64

Working on platforms with GCC installed means that I don't need to
first compile GCC myself. I have had relatively little trouble with
doing porting work and testing on sage.math, bsd.math, virtualized
Linux guests on boxen.math, t2.math using GCC, and various Fedora, Red
Hat and SUSE machines on SkyNet.

The trouble comes in when I want to test or do porting work on a SPARC
machine with Solaris and Sun's compiler. At the moment, t2.math is
equipped with both GCC and Sun compiler. I can set GCC as the default
compiler with these export lines by David Kirkby:

export
PATH=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/bin:/usr/local/bin2:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/lib:/usr/local/lib
export SAGE_FORTRAN=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/bin/gfortran
export SAGE_FORTRAN_LIB=/usr/local/gcc-4.4.1-sun-linker/lib/libgfortran.so

If I also want to do testing or porting with the Sun compiler on
t2.math, are there equivalent export commands I can use? Of course it
would be nice to have a box with just the Sun compiler, linker and
library paths all setup whenever one login, and another box with GNU
equivalent. In the absense of that, switching between compilers,
linkers and library paths on the same box can be confusing.

> The last two packages that we added to Sage -- cliquer and ratpoints
> -- both caused a lot of trouble.

The building problem with cliquer is pretty much solved I think. As
for ratpoint, the issue is that it should build OK with GCC 3.4.x. Is
there a machine somewhere with GCC 3.4.x that I can use to have a shot
at this problem?

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen