As my work on prime_pi and nth_prime is drawing to a close, William
Stein and I have discussed the possibility of me making a graphical
physics program to be included in Sage, the free open source math
program.

An example of the desired functionality is to either with a few lines
of code from within a Sage worksheet, or by clicking buttons in a
graphical user interface (GUI) create a physics problem with
components such as ramps, blocks, balls, pulleys, and springs, and
processes such as motion (translational or rotational), collisions
(elastic, inelastic, completely inelastic), and forces (friction,
gravity, normal forces, driving forces, etc).

I am expecting the VIGRE grant from the National Science Foundation
(NSF) to support my work, so I will be able to devote a lot of time to
this project.

I would like to obtain any and all suggestions for what features,
functionality etc. could be included in this program.  Please don't be
afraid to contribute an idea.  No suggestion is too large or too
small.

A few of the possible ideas that I have come up with so far:

Allowing time to be solved for-e.g. exactly how long does it take for
an event to occur, such as for velocity to reach 0.

Using multi-precision arithmetic and error analysis to solve a problem
to a specified accuracy-e.g. what is the velocity of an object at a
certain time to the 100th decimal (for problems that don't include too
much chaos).

Creating a human readable physics problem specification language that
allows the locations and properties of each component to be specified
(perhaps similar to standard circuit specification languages).

Allow matrices, systems of DEs, tables of values, etc that describe
the physics problem to be accessed with Sage commands.

Symbolic solving for problems that lend themselves to symbolic
solving.

Plotting variables such as velocity, kinetic energy etc. with respect
to time.

Plotting more complicated functions such as the amount of time a block
takes to slide to the bottom of a ramp with respect to the ramp's
angle.

Make architecture easily extensible so new components can be made by
the user

Three dimensional graphics and problems (after 2D is finished)

Kevin Stueve
kstu...@uw.edu