Hi Brandon,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:59 PM, brandon.bar...@gmail.com
<brandon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I put together a package:
> http://barker.homeunix.net/bb/pydstool-0.87.081113.spkg
>
> There are a few big problems.  This release has not been tested in
> python 2.6, and also some of the pydstool functions do their own type
> checking, and don't know about Integer (for example).

If you don't have Python 2.6.x installed on your system, you can test
your package with the version of Python distributed with Sage. The
current version of Python that is shipped with Sage is 2.6.2.

> I'll post an
> update whenever I get around to making a patch.

Thank you for your effort.

> On Sep 24, 6:20 pm, "brandon.bar...@gmail.com"
> <brandon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to put together an spkg for pydstool - would this be a useful
>> package for sage's core
>> distribution?http://www.cam.cornell.edu/~rclewley/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/

You can make pydstool an optional package or an experimental package
for Sage. To be part of the "core distribution" is to be in the
standard package repository of Sage. The barrier for being an
experimental package is low, and that for being an optional package is
higher. To be an experimental package, you need to open a ticket on
the trac server [1]. If you require a trac account, please email
William Stein. Then someone needs to review your package. To be an
optional package, your package needs to at least build and run on the
supported Linux distributions, Mac OS X 10.5 and OS X 10.6.

The requirements for being a standard package is much higher. At the
minimum, the package must satisfy these criteria:

(1) Build as 32-bit with GCC on SPARC
(2) Build as 64-bit with GCC on SPARC
(3) Build as 32-bit with Sun's compiler on SPARC
(4) Build as 64-bit with Sun's compiler on SPARC

(5) Build as 32-bit with GCC on x86
(6) Build as 64-bit with GCC on x86_64
(7) Build as 32-bit with Sun's compiler on x86
(8) Build as 64-bit with Sun's compiler on x86_64

Note that satisfying the first four would likely satisfy the remaining criteria.

There were some recent discussions about the criteria for making a
package standard. You can find the discussions on the sage-devel
mailing list [2] [3].

[1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac

[2]
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/15c461b1355a8460/d9660e265ad982d8