On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM, ahmet alper parker <aapar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just a recommandation on the topic. Personally, i don' believe
> if someoneone try to learn linux/unix/minix (whatever you call) will
> learn it  correctly from the available online literature. Generally,
> they have a misunderstanding that everything they learn is Linux.

Carlo posted this a few messages back:

   http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

I flipped through it a bit, and it looks excellent.  And moreover, I think it
does a great job of emphasizing the difference between UNIX and "Linux".

Personally, I was asking because I see a *lot* -- maybe most (!) --
students I come in contact with (even the ones good at programming) --
know very little to nothing about command line Linux or OS X.    If I
could point them to something to get them up to speed in a day (so
they know about ls, mv, cp, pwd, etc.), it would be tremendously
helpful.  So far,  http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/ looks
very appropriate.

> Maybe writing something what is not linux and then teaching the
> programs that run on those operating systems will help them gain a
> much wider point of view. I don't know whether there exists such an
> introductory text or not...
> AAP
>
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Harald Schilly
> <harald.schi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 27, 3:32 pm, Marmaduke <mmwood...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I learned most useful things from the Info pages on coreutils. Maybe
>>> these can be rendered to html because they come from Texinfo?
>>
>> look here: http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/

William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington